Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Yee-Haw from Texas!



Imagine if you will -- a Cow.

Now imagine them by the countless thousands. Crammed in so tight that you can't see the ground. Imagine how much they eat, and what happens after they're finished eating. Now imagine the stench. Multiply by 100.

Next imagine a Cow Pie Fly. Not much bigger than a gnat. Teeming swarms of them, bouncing off your face, sticking to any exposed skin by the dozens. Don't open your mouth. Even to breathe. Unless you want some Cow Pie Protein.

Welcome to Texas.

----------------------------

I woke up this morning feeling as if I'd been beaten with a rubber hose. Yesterday took a lot out of me. I wasn't looking forward to doing another 96 today. In fact, today seemed like a really good time to have a rest day. No such luck.

We have a group of three riders called "The Jims". For the reason you would expect (they're all named Jim). Their game is to cover as much ground as possible as quickly as possible. They have no problem with you hitching a ride. You can draft as long as you'd like. Just don't expect them to slow down if you can't keep up. The morning Peleton pulls out and several riders typically attach themselves to the back of the pack. Most drop off at some point during the day. I jumped on the back of the bus and got sucked along at 20-30 mph. We covered the first 29 miles by 8:20 a.m. This picture shows a double-wide paceline moving at 24 MPH.


After the first SAG I let the speedsters go do their thing. Still, I felt surprisingly good, and continued to feel good the rest of the day. Recuperative powers and a negative headwind do wonders.

Around the 50 mile mark we crossed into Texas. There are two signs. I sprinkled the magic dust at the first sign, and attempted to ride the second sign. That's the kind of sacrilege that's likely to get a person shot around here.


I have to give Texas credit for one thing, at least so far. The shoulders on their roads are huge! We could ride 2 across and never feel like we were close to the traffic. With the favorable headwinds we covered 96 miles before 1:00 p.m. (not accounting for the time change.) I actually averaged over 20 mph for the 96 miles.

I've been losing weight a little more quickly than I'd like so I headed over to Dairy Queen for a little post-ride snack. I'm eating like a pig, but it never seems to be enough. Hopefully a burger, fries, and two cokes as a post-ride snack, plus a full dinner, plus a Blizzard at Dairy Queen for dessert should be enough!

I learnt one more thing about Texas today. Grass is fer lookin' at, not fer sittin'. Unless you like Chiggers.

Yesterday's Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/TucumcariNM.kmz

Today's Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/DalhartTX.kmz

4 comments:

Bev said...

LOL!!!! Leave it to you Tom, to come up with "negative headwinds" to replace the T-WORD. I hope you don't mind if I steal that from you. Keep on pedaling!

Tom Erceg said...

Why would I mind? I stole "negative headwind" and "favorable headwind" from other people on this trip. To paraphrase Milton Berle, "I know a good line when I steal it"

Tom'sMom said...

Everything is bigger in Texas--bugs, storms, feed lots, cow pies and roads too.

Craig Northcutt said...

Need google account info in order to post the following;

Keep up the great writing Tom, it sure as been entertaining. Hell, I even have sorebutt bookmarked on my phone:)

I had a great laugh on your Texas entry. THAT is some funny stuff! Since my Grand parents are from Texas, I had a first time perspective on why you don't sit down on any of the lawns in Texas, ...the aftermath is simply NOT fun:).

Cheers,

Craig

PS. Looks like we are still required to use our google account and password to post.