Monday, May 21, 2007

Standing on a corner of Winslow Arizona

Here's today's Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/Holbrook.kmz


I'm afraid the Eagles got it wrong.

I was standing on a corner of Winslow Arizona, but...

There were no Flatbed Fords,
There were no girls,
And if there were they sure weren't standing around taking a look at me.

At least I was taking it easy.

-------------------------------

Today was not a day for sightseeing. We had 96 miles to ride, a 20 mph tail / side wind, and lots of high desert plains. The Wind Gods smiled on us. This was a day for shifting into the big chainring and hammering.

We got to ride fast today, pretty much all day. The groups broke up early and I rode by myself for the first 60 miles. It was really kind of a treat to be out on the wide open road just mashing away at the pedals, not making conversation or thinking about anything other than going hard. Miles flew by. Other than the occasional gusting crosswind there was no reason to slow down or look up much.

I did make the occasional picture stop. One of my friends has griped about my choice of photo ops. In particular, he was looking for "naked chicks and road kill". I can't do much about the naked chicks, but here's a lovely bit of Interstate road kill.


I had dodged the flat tire bullet up until now, but I got bit twice today. A little shard of steel belt got stuck in my tire and I didn't find it the first time. Laurie's hemostats worked like a champ once I did find it though. I didn't feel too bad about my fortunes. The group had 21 flat tires today and one lady had 3 all by herself. It's one of the hazards of riding the Interstate.

There are some oddities off the road out here. I wrestled a giant jackrabbit to the ground,

Saw my first-ever beetle camper,

And saw a motel with rooms shaped like WigWams.

It's always an adventure out on the open road.

2 comments:

Tom'sMom said...

There's just no end to the culture in Arizona.

Suki said...

Ewwww... I didn't need to see the road kill.

So did you ride so fast today that you went back in time? Because those cars parked in front of the wigwams look pretty retro!