Friday, May 25, 2007

Albuquerque to Santa Fe

Today's Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/SantaFeNM.kmz
Ysterday's Google Earth file: (I forgot!) http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/AlbuquerqueNM.kmz

Today's ride took us from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. After the initial 10 mile ride out of town we were treated to 56 miles of big climbs, white knuckle descents, canyons, forests, and wide open spaces. It's truly delightful riding, with just about everything you'd want in a days ride.

We grunted against the wind for the first 15 miles. At one point I was doing about 5 MPH climbing and fighting headwinds. I did a little math. "67 miles / 5 MPH = a very long day".

We see these deserted buildings occasionally along the route. They've obviously been empty for a very long time. Each time I see one I wonder what stories are captured there.



We stopped for lunch at the Mine Shaft Tavern in Madrid. It's a funky, eclectic sort of biker bar / restaurant. We fit right in with our spandex get-ups. Actually, we got loads of questions from folks, and a lot of encouragement. The big descent of the day came right before Madrid. Lisa's description: "My fingers cramped (from squeezing the brakes) and I ground all the enamel off my teeth." Some riders hit 48 mph. I kept it to a more reasonable 38 mph.

All day long we could see storm clouds brewing. The forecast called for late afternoon thunderstorms and we could see them building as the ride progressed. Late in the ride we had lightning behind us, and lightning in front of us, but we never got more than an occasional sprinkle.


Shortly after lunch I got a burst of energy. Maybe it was the 3 cokes I had with the quesadillas, but I just felt the need to hammer. I took off like a man on a mission and rode 20 - 30 mph almost the entire way into town, sometimes pulling 20 mph on 3% grades. It was an epic strong section of riding for me. Terry rode with me for awhile through here. Back in the lobby his description was "Holy Mother of God!"

All in all this was yet another day that reminds me how fortunate I am to be able to do this. As I write this the lightning is flashing, the thunder is shaking the hotel, and hail is pounding on the window. Looks like I was fortunate in more ways than one.

4 comments:

Harold Jr said...

Hi Tom. What you'r doing is simply incredable. I've been reading your blog as you've ridden. I'll show it to the guys at the poker game in June. We'll miss you and your money.
Harold Jr.
P.S. WE'll still be happy with your Dads money

Cathy said...

Hi Tom!! I hope you enjoy your time in Santa Fe, such a cool town. Lord knows you deserve a break!! Knowing you, you'll be energized and charge out of there like a maniac! You all have accomplished so much already...and a multitude of new adventures await you! Stay safe, and enjoy it all. We miss you! Cathy

Tom Erceg said...

Hey HJ, thanks for the note. Missing the poker game is costing me another $100! (of your money...)

Bev said...

Hi Tom, Sounds like you are still having a blast. Reading your blog is such an inspiration...I can hardly blow off a local ride after reading about you climbing giant mountain ranges and fighting hellacious headwinds. U r a stud! Be safe, Bev