Sunday, June 24, 2007

Navigatin' the Erie Canal

Today was a rarity -- A vacation day of riding. We only had 68 miles to cover, so we got an extra hour of sleep. The hotel wasn't going to be ready until 2:00, so there was absolutely no reason to rush.

I made the most of it. I made an unscheduled stop at Seneca Lake, another one of the Finger Lakes. This area of New York is really beautiful. I'd never heard of the Finger Lakes, but apparently it's well known out here. I can see why it's a popular summertime destination.

A group of us made a stop at the Camillus Landing along the former Erie Canal. They were closed when we showed up, but Terry shook the door until someone opened up for us. We ended up staying there for an hour, and then hopped on a $3 boat tour that took us along a restored section of the canal. We learned all about the history of the canal. I found out what an aqueduct does. Pretty interesting.


Terry apparently didn't find it quite as interesting as I did.


After dinner tonight I walked down to a local watering hole and just had a beer by myself. Being back in the "real world" without anyone associated with the trip and with no discussions of biking was a little disorienting. There is an actual world outside of our bike tour. I tend to forget that. For good or bad, that world draws closer each day.

Today's Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/SyracuseNY.kmz

2 comments:

Jim said...

Tom:

Thanks for the special mention and photo catching me in one of my better momments. Just remember what come around goes around.

Terry

Tom'sMom said...

Tell Terry that a boat ride is supposed to relax you. Looks like it worked.