Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Eagle Has Landed


This marvelous, epic, challenging, and unimaginably fun adventure has drawn to a close. We rolled onto Revere Beach yesterday, an 18 mile epilogue, full of joy and pride. Maybe a little relief as well. OK, a few tears on top of that.


We couldn't go all the way to the Atlantic and not go for a little swim. I'm in the middle of this picture, forgetting to take my helmet off. The water was warmer than the Pacific but still plenty chilly.


Here is the final group photo with all the riders that made it to Boston. This was a wonderful group of people -- friendly, funny, encouraging, and helpful. We became a family over the last 7 weeks. I've made friendships that I hope to maintain for the rest of my life. Saying goodbye (for now) has proven to be difficult.The bond we made on the open roads of America was unlike anything I've ever experienced. Fighting hailstorms and desert heat and 50 MPH crosswinds brings people together in ways that normal daily life just can't. I cherish the memories I've created with these folks.


My 2-wheeled temptress is now in a cardboard box on her way back home. It seems quite strange that I won't be riding every day. I've grown accustomed to this adventurous lifestyle. But new adventures await. Laurie and I are off for 2 weeks of what most people would consider a "real" vacation, sightseeing in New England.

I'd like to thank all of you who have encouraged my writing. This is the first time I've actually tried to write every day and I've enjoyed it immensely. It's been very rewarding. I plan to continue writing in some capacity. I don't know what form that will take just yet. Figuring that out is a part of my life's journey.

I'll be making another movie with the pictures I took on the second half of the trip. Give me 2-3 weeks to get it all worked out and I'll post it here. I may also make a few more posts over the next weeks as memories come back or thoughts feel the need to express themselves.

Thanks for reading. It's been a blast.

Tom

The Final Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/bostonma.kmz
Zoom way in on the beach and you can see the actual track the bike made into the ocean!

5 comments:

Tom'sMom said...

I don't like to admit it, but I too will miss your adventures. I have enjoyed your entries so much.
You have entertained all of us.

I have sensed a writer's heart in you since you were very young. I know for sure now. It would be a shame to waste your talent. I expect more great things from you.

Congratulations JoeJoe Ride-a-Bike.
You pumped with feet and made ... all right. You earned your dime.

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom'sMom said...

I forgot to tell you that the shirt looks great.

Suki said...

Congratulations Tom!

I've loved reading your blog, looking at your pictures, and zooming around with you via Google Earth. Thanks so much for including all of us in your adventure!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have followed the tail end of your trip a little closer, but our Internet here has been less than reliable. I enjoyed your blog immensely and have been motivated to start my own to journal our move to Japan coupled with Jack's arrival. The calendar says he's 18" and three pounds now...9 weeks to go until you are a Grandpa. Way to go Dad, we love you - J&K

gary said...

Thanks for your notes on your trip. I am planning on making this trip with Crossroads in May of 10.

I felt like I was with your great group all the way without leaving my chair.

Would you please comment on 2 things. How were the meals and how did you find the hotel/motels?

I will probably end this summer with about 3,000 miles and only about 5 centurys.

I live in Michigan and we have, more or less hills, not the kind of climbs you faced. I guess I am a little worried about managing the mountains as you reported. Any suggestions for getting ready without actualy going east or west?

Well, thanks for the hours of work you put in to making the daily entries.

Oh, one last question. I have a friend that is planning on joining me on the final 2 weeks. How did the group accept late "joinees"?