Saturday, June 23, 2007

3000 miles


Three...Thousand...Miles...

I have to say, that's a BIG number. Like a lot of things in life, numbers like that happen from doing the right thing day after day. I'm really proud of this group of riders. We've accomplished something pretty amazing. I'm feeling some of the effects of that mileage (a twang in my hamstring, numbness in my fingers, a consistent cramp in my shoulder, blah, blah, blah...), but it'll take a tornado inside a hurricane to keep me from making it all the way.

This was the last high mileage day of the trip. I covered 97 miles today, with 4000 feet of climbing, and averaged over 17 MPH. We had a delightful wind at our backs most of the day. I am SUCH a strong rider when the wind is at my back. I RULE! Of course when the wind doesn't cooperate, or doesn't blow at all, reality comes back and slaps me in the face.

I had a nice surprise waiting for me at the second SAG stop in Avon. I pulled in and saw this gentleman wearing a Penfield Fire Department shirt. I said, "hey, I have a good friend who used to live in Penfield". He replied "that's my son Tim". Tim Reynolds is the guy who is responsible for figuring out all the Google Earth magic, and a friend of mine for the last 19 years. His Dad George lives in Penfield, the purported "center" of the universe, or so Tim has told me about a thousand times. George drove down here just to say hi and wish me well. Thanks George!


This section of New York is known as the "Finger Lakes". If you look at the Google Earth file you'll see why. We're staying right across from Lake Canadaugia. It's really a beautiful region. So far I have to give New York credit. They have the best roads in the nation. No other state is even close, at least with the roads we've been on so far.


Today's Google Earth file: http://tomerceg.googlepages.com/CanandaugiaNY.kmz

1 comment:

Tom'sMom said...

How nice of Tim's dad to meet you. Tim's a good guy to let him know you were coming that way.

New York looks like a beautiful place.

Hope your aches and pains don't get any worse. You've almost made it Joe Joe. Just heep pumping with feet-----